Here we list what we consider to be some key papers by topic area.
- Broom, L.J., Kogut, M.H. 2018. Gut health in poultry and considerations of additives as alternatives to antibiotics. CAB Reviews 13, 38. www.cabi.org/cabreviews/
- Celi, P., Cowieson, A.J., Fru-Nji, F., Steinert, R.E., Kluenter, A.M., Verlhac, V. 2017. Gastrointestinal functionality in animal nutrition and health: New opportunities for sustainable animal nutrition. Animal Feed Science and Technology 234, 88-100. doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2017.09.012
- Pluske, J.R., Turpin, D.L., Lim, J.C. 2018. Gastrointestinal tract (gut) health in the young pig. Animal Nutrition 4, 187-196. doi.org/10.1016/j.aninu.2017.12.004
- Broom, L.J. 2019. Host-microbe interactions and gut health in poultry - focus on innate responses (under review).
- Broom, L.J., Kogut, M.H. 2018. The role of the gut microbiome in shaping the immune system of chickens. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 204, 44-51. doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2018.10.002
- Broom, L.J., Kogut, M.H. 2019. Deciphering desirable immune responses from disease models with resistant and susceptible chickens. Poultry Science 98, 1634-1642. doi.org/10.3382/ps/pey535
- Chapman, H.D. 2018. Applied strategies for the control of coccidiosis in poultry. CAB Reviews 13, 26. www.cabi.org/cabreviews/abstract/20183254614
- Chapman, H.D. 2014. Milestones in avian coccidiosis research: A review. Poultry Science 93, 501-511. doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03634
- Shivaramaiah, C. Barta, J., Hernandez-Velasco, X., Tellez, G., Hargis, B. 2014. Coccidiosis: recent advancements in the immunobiology of Eimeria species, preventive measures, and the importance of vaccination as a control tool against these Apicomplexan parasites. Veterinary Medicine: Research and Reports 5, 23-34.doi.org/10.2147/VMRR.S57839
- Broom, L.J. 2017. Necrotic enteritis; current knowledge and diet-related mitigation. World's Poultry Science Journal 73, 281-292. doi.org/10.1017/S0043933917000058
- Hofacre, C.L., Smith, J.A., Mathis, G.F. 2018. An optimist's view on limiting necrotic enteritis and maintaining broiler gut health and performance in today's marketing, food safety, and regulatory climate. Poultry Science 97, 1929-1933. doi.org/10.3382/ps/pey082
- Van Immerseel, F., Lyhs, U., Pedersen, K., Prescott, J.F. 2016. Recent breakthroughs have unveiled the many knowledge gaps in Clostridium perfringens-associated necrotic enteritis in chickens. Avian Pathology 45, 269-270. doi.org/10.1080/03079457.2016.1166857
- Probiotics - Rainard, P., Foucras, G. 2018. A critical appraisal of probiotics for mastitis control. Frontiers in Veterinary Science 5, 251. doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2018.00251
- Prebiotics - Louis, P., Flint, H.J., Michel, C. 2016. How to manipulate the microbiota: Prebiotics. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 902, 119-142. link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-31248-4_9
- Phytogenics - O'Bryan, C.A., Pendleton, S.J., Crandall, P.G., Ricke, S.C. 2015. Potential of plant essential oils and thei components in animal agriculture - in-vitro studies on antibacterial mode of action. Frontiers in Veterinary Science 2, 35. doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2015.00035
- Organic acids - Broom, L.J. 2015. Organic acids for improving intestinal health of poultry. World's Poultry Science Journal 71, 630-642. doi.org/10.1017/S0043933915002391
- Enzymes - Kiarie, E., Romero, L.F., Nyachoti, C.M. 2013. The role of added feed enzymes in promoting gut health in swine and poultry. Nutrition Research Reviews 26, 71-88. doi.org/10.1017/S0954422413000048
- Faecal microbiota transplantation - Niederwerder, M.C. 2018. Faecal microbiota transplantation as a tool to treat and reduce susceptibility to disease in animals. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 206, 65-72. doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2018.11.002
- Gene-editing - Wu, G., Bazer, F.W. 2019. Application of new biotechnologies for improvements in swine nutrition and pork production. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology 10, 28. doi.org/10.1186/s40104-019-0337-6
- Pattern recognition receptor ligands - Alkie, T.N., et al. 2019. Development of innate immunity in chicken embryos and newly hatched chicks: A disease control perspective. Avian Pathology doi.org/10.1080/03079457.2019.1607966
- Immunometabolism - O'Neill, L.A.J., Kishton, R.J., Rathmell, J. 2016. A guide to immunometabolism for immunologists. Nature Reviews Immunology 16, 553-565. www.nature.com/articles/nri.2016.70
- Bacteriophages - Seal, B.S., et al. 2018. Microbial-derived products as potential new antimicrobials. Veterinary Research 49, 66. doi.org/10.1186/s13567-018-0563-5
- More coming soon!